Monday, December 8, 2008

The Simple Taste of Coffee

I love coffee. Yes, I love coffee so much that you really don't want to talk to me until I have a cup in my hand filled with that wonderful warm drink. Coffee is my drink of choice in the morning, noon, and sometimes at night (depending on the event). I enjoy a good cup of coffee. I like my coffee straight. Nothing in it -- nothing fancy, just brew the coffee and pour it into my cup. That is enough to satisfy me. There are a lot of people who add things to theirs, but not me -- a good straight cup of coffee. I can almost taste it now. So why do I bring this up? During the Christmas season, we get so caught up in making Christmas perfect, to fancy up the story. We have parties, gatherings, gifts, lights, even inflatable mangers scenes for our lawns. We make Christmas fancy. So fancy that it hides the true meaning of Christmas. Just like a cup of coffee, you can add flavors, whip cream, sugar, all sorts of things to make it taste different than just a cup of coffee. Soon it becomes more of the added items than coffee. Our focus should be on the true meaning of Christmas. Jesus Christ given to us for our salvation. That is the message, plain and simple. We need to keep the message as it is. It is the perfect message, the perfect story, the perfect Christ child. It isn't what we do, but what He has already done for us. We don't need to fancy it up.