Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Bringing People or Bringing Christ

As this volleyball season is starting to wind down, I have had a change of heart of how to coach this team. In the beginning of the season, I was working so hard to make them understand this game and the skills that they need to accomplish in order to play the game. I was focused on teaching them the game in ways that had brought my past teams success. But as the season progressed, I realized that I was coming about this all wrong. I need to teach the game so that they can appreciate it and learn it in their time.

This is so much like the church. We want to share the message of Christ to the world. We want all people, all nations to experience the saving Grace of our Lord and Savior. But many times we come about this all wrong. We want to go out and bring people to Christ, instead of bringing Christ to the people. We should share Christ and allow the Holy Spirit to work in them. This means in all of our professions, in worship, in our free time, in all we do. We need to be bringing Christ to the people by our words, actions, worship and prayer. Then allow the Spirit to work in them. We won't be able to change the heart of people or make them become what we want them to become, but the Holy Spirit can work in their heart and help them understand the grace of Christ.