Thursday, October 28, 2010

Gratitude

I have to admit that I am one of those “go-for-broke” visionary people in ministry.  I’m focused and always thinking about the next big thing. At times I find myself emotionally, spiritually, and physically stretched to my limits. Sometimes I fail to stop and appreciate the Spirit’s work that is being done right now. Gratitude for what God has done and will do, should be a natural and normal part of our life and ministry. The Psalms contain countless reminders to us to praise God for every conceivable thing. Gratitude transforms attitudes, inspires hearts, affirms our calling, and builds relationships. Dietrich Bonhoeffer once said from his jail under Nazi rule, “In ordinary life we hardly realize that we receive a great deal more than we give, and that it is only with gratitude that life becomes rich.” We can learn from Dietrich.  He was able to focus on what he could give while sitting in a Nazi concentration prison.  During the time when life seemed hopeless, he was able  to stop and give thanks.  We can also.  There is so much more to be thankful for in our lives, even when we too feel hopeless.  Take some time to see all the good that God has done for you.  Take the time to give Him thanks and praise.