Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Worship or Service

I’ve been thinking more and more about worship lately. Perhaps it is because of where I am at in my current ministry. What I have been pondering (struggling?) with is the term worship service. Should we call it a worship service any more? We may need to refocus the way we look at worship. Service entails doing something. There are times, I think we have lost the fact that worship is not about us, myself included. We come to worship on Sunday mornings or on Saturday nights, and we expect something out of it. We focus on whether we like the songs or not. We focus on how well the pastor preached the sermon. We focus on what was done or not done; what we did or did not get out of the worship service. Suddenly we seem to have lost the meaning behind why we are there in the first place. If we are going to use the term service, we need to be reminded that we are there in response to the goodness of what God is doing in our lives. Worship is about God, not us. But if we can’t get passed the service being for us and not for God, then what do we call it? We call it Worship. Or worship gathering. If I recall, worship service is never used in the Bible, but there are many references to a gathering of people FOR worship. Perhaps just by switching the word we use, maybe we can begin to get back to the heart of what worship is about. God...not you, not me. Not the people across from us. Not the people there or not there. It is about God and God alone! Worship...the focus is...God!