Tuesday, July 6, 2010

The Journey Isn't Easy

My feet hurt. It hurts to walk right now. The gathering has begun! Even though the gathering just began, I think about the many miles I've already walked. As I think about how my feet hurt, I am reminded that sometimes it hurts to walk in the shadow of the cross. Jesus calls us to take up our cross and follow him, but sometimes that journey isn’t easy. There isn’t anything easy about following Christ, well, perhaps the easiest thing is the grace we receive. Sometimes Christ calls us to unexpected places, to do unexpected things, and that is what this gathering is about. It was an unexpected place. Many didn’t feel we should be in this city, but the youth will do unexpected things. But in the process the people of New Orleans are receiving an unexpected gift, and in return, all participants are receiving it back! Sometimes it hurts, but in the end, as my former coaches have said, no pain, no gain. Perhaps they were right all those years!