Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Thunderstorms


I attended a meeting for the National Youth Gathering over this past weekend. The meeting was good. I learned a lot and the gathering is taking shape. Sunday was a travel home day for us. I left the hotel and headed to the airport unaware the Atlanta was getting hit by a major thunderstorm. This storm delayed my flight and canceled my connection home. When we finally landed in Atlanta, the airline had already rebooked me to the last possible flight into Flint. But there were 3 flights coming into Flint before that "last flight". So I talked with the airline and tried to get onboard an earlier flight. The lady I spoke with wasn't happy about working, in fact, didn't seem happy about anything. Everyone was in the same boat. Everyone wasn't happy. Everyone just needed to stop and relook at things. A day that was supposed to be smooth turned into a "thunderstorm".

There are so many days that "thunderstorms" play havoc with our lives. We expect life to be smooth. We expect everything to just go as we plan, but God has other plans. Tough situations come upon us and we must deal with them in a way that shows our faith in Christ. There were people yelling at the lady behind the counter to get their flight rebooked. I even caught myself getting frustrated with her, but I never raised my voice. It wasn't her fault, she didn't cause the storm. God's plan didn't really help with our perfectly smooth plan for the day. He had a plan for me to be involved in this. Maybe it was just to say "thank you" to the lady behind the counter as I got my seat on standby? Maybe it was show a calm voice to those who were yelling at her. I don't know why it happened, but it did, all to His glory. I got home, a little later than expected, but safe. Praise God for the "thunderstorm". It makes you stop and think of His power.