Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Build

I have now been at Living Word for the start of the second school year. Even though I spend 90% of my time workin for the church, I have the opportunity to serve the school. It was this year, when I was asked about writing a song to match the theme of the school year. When I was asked, my answer was "yes". I could do it. I really thought it would be neat, but when? I have never written a song based on a theme that was already set. I have never really written a song that was meant for a school, a mass group of kids, to sing. I was so thankful that the thought of writing a song to match the theme was after the school year started. So I pushed it aside and I continued to push it aside.

But today, yes, today, on Vetern's Day, it hit me. I forgot my son's snack for his class (totally my mistake) and had to run home to get it. As I was driving home, I was listening to 97.1 The Ticket on the radio. I enjoy listening to them bash the Lions, bash the Tigers, bash -- well, they just like to rip teams apart. They were talking about how they would build up the Lions. It hit me! The beginning of the chorus. Those words hit me hard. I'm sure my face was just in a daze. I kept repeating those words over and over. Then as I was working on remember them, the words "smile and encourage" kept coming back to me. Those words kept running through my mind. After I got back to work and after fixing Betty's computer. I sat down and wrote out the words. They came so easy -- the words, the melody, the message. The song isn't meant to be hard. It is meant for kids to be able to learn and sing with ease.

It is based on Ephesians 4:29. It states...Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

So the song, Build, was born. To God be the glory!!!!!



Build


Chorus:
Build ( X, X)
We should build each other up
Build each other up in His Name.
Build ( X, X)
We should build each other up
God set the example, do the same.



Each person has gifts given to them to build up the Kingdom of God.
So share in the moments, the good and the bad,
Smile and encourage, give it all that you have. (Chorus)


We should love each other as children of God, worship, sing, pray and praise.
So build others up in the all that you do.
Smile and encourage, Its God’s love that we share. (Chorus 2xs)